The Patron of St Martin’s is the vicar of St Paul’s, Cambridge.
This patronage was temporarily suspended during the period 22 December 2015 to 8 September 2020, pending possible restructuring of the deanery. The Bishop’s letter ending this temporary suspension is below.
To: the Bishop of Ely , the Bishop of Huntingdon, the Patron of the Benefice of St Martin, Cambridge (The Vicar of St Paul’s Church, Cambridge – by post), the Archdeacon of Cambridge, the PCC Secretary and Second Churchwarden of the parish of St Martin, Cambridge, Clergy serving in the Benefice (The Revd Johannes Roth), Lay Chair of the Deanery of Cambridge South, Rural Dean of the Deanery of Cambridge South, the Diocesan Registrar.
For information only: Assistant Curate, LLMs
Benefice of St Martin, Cambridge
At the meeting of the Cambridge Archdeaconry Mission and Pastoral Committee on 10 March 2020, it was agreed that the Patron’s right of presentation to the Benefice of St Martin, Cambridge should be restored, and the suspension which has been in place since 22 December 2015 should be terminated. Accordingly, under section 85(4) (b) of the Mission and Pastoral Measure 2011, the Bishop of Huntingdon has now signed a notice to terminate the suspension of presentation, which will come into effect on Tuesday 8 September 2020 . As required by the Measure, I attach a copy of the notice for your records and for the Churchwarden to please print and affix to the door of the parish church and also put on the parish/benefice website for a period of 28 days. If the Churchwarden wishes me to send a paper copy, please respond to me directly and I will arrange this.
It was also agreed at the meeting that the present licensed Priest in Charge, the Revd Johannes Roth, should become the Incumbent (Vicar) of the Benefice, subject to the Patron’s approval.
Because the proposal is to admit the current Priest in Charge as Incumbent (Vicar), section 16A of the Patronage (Benefices) Measure 1986 applies. This requires the registered Patron, if content with the proposal, to send notice to the Bishop presenting the Priest in Charge for admission, providing that:
- The Priest in Charge has stated in writing that he is willing to be so admitted;
- and the PCC of the parish belonging to the Benefice has passed a resolution stating that it approves the proposal.
Could I therefore please ask the following:
- The Revd Johannes Roth to confirm in writing (by email to me is fine) that he is willing to be admitted as Incumbent of the Benefice of St Martin, Cambridge.
- The PCC of the parish of St Martin, Cambridge to pass a resolution approving the admission of the Revd Johannes Roth as Incumbent of the Benefice of St Martin, Cambridge, and to send a copy of such resolution to me (again an email will be fine).
- If the Patron as listed above does not approve of the proposal, he/she should contact me directly within 28 days. If I do not hear from the Patron giving approval, collective consent will be deemed to have been given, and I will serve notice to the Bishop presenting the Revd Johannes Roth as Incumbent. The necessary steps will then be taken to institute him. If however the Patron would like to convene a meeting to discuss this, would you please let me know as soon as possible.
Thank you for your understanding for this lengthy email, I do need to follow the legislation required, and I have tried to keep the process as straightforward as possible, but please do not hesitate to contact me if any of the above is unclear.
With grateful thanks
Pastoral and Elections Secretary
Diocese of Ely